Esplanade Zagreb Hotel
Mihanoviceva 1, 10000 Zagreb, CROATIA
Tel. +385 1 4566 666
The Esplanade Zagreb Hotel is an architectural gem that was opened in 1925 as a refuge for passengers from the Orient Express. Located 5 minutes walk from Zagreb Railway Station, it is within easy reach of key attractions. The city’s most iconic hotel combines art deco glamour with contemporary convenience.
Long-established as a haven for A-List movie stars, politicians, singers and artists, the hotel’s fairytale exterior and gracious guest accommodation make it easily the most prestigious hotel in Zagreb. It was completely renovated in 2004 and designed to flawlessly merge the best of 21st century comfort with the alluring appeal of Art Noveau architecture.
Luckily the old room keys on their heavy brass holders and silk tassels are no longer in use. We have modern keycard entry instead but they old key board is still pretty to look at.
Beautifully designed rooms blended with the delicate combination of Art Deco heritage and contemporary touches.
A long history of first-class service, spectacular facilities and simply amazing food at a price you can afford.
The current exchange rate is 1 USD = 6.27 HRK (Kuna).
With 208 spacious rooms and suites, complete with sumptuous marble bathrooms, each guest is treated as a VIP by attentive and professional staff. Stunning view of the city, and complimentary superfast Internet, a whole range of room amenities, fully non-smoking rooms and sophisticated interior offer guests a true feeling of home.
Esplanade Zagreb Hotel boasts many ‘Firsts’:
- First luxury hotel in Croatia
- First hotel with 200 rooms, hot and cold running water and telephone in each room
- First Casino opened in Hotel, 1967
- First Croatian hotel to join Inter-Continental Corporation in 1964 with International standards, such as small soaps, small butter and jams…
- First snack bar, 1970
- First French Bistro, 1986
- First to served coffee with a small chocolate on the side
- First to served Champagne by the glass
- First to introduced silk uniforms for hostesses
- Joined The Leading Hotels of the World; first from socialist countries and the only one in Croatia, 1988
- First time celebrated Valentine’s Day in Croatia, 1989
- First in Croatia with macrobiotic menu, 1991
- First hotel in Croatia to be privatized, 1992
- Best wine cellar in the country with 400 different kinds of wine from all over the world.
- First to offer famous Californian or Australian wines to Croatian public
- First Croatian hotel with its own web pages, 1996
- First Croatian hotel to join the SRS hotel reservation system, 2000
- First in Croatia to introduce Tiramisu – Italian dessert – at the Bistro
- First Regent Hotel in Europe, 2004
- First to introduce unique Bath Butler Service, 2006
- First Dog Menu and VIP dog treatment, 2006
- First Personal Stylist Service, 2007
- First Segway City Tour introduced in Zagreb, 2007
- First HUGO BOSS mobile boutique, 2007
- First Ice Rink on the Oleander Terrace, 2009
- First Kanebo Sensai Salon in Croatia
- First hotel application for iPhone & iPad available on App Store in Croatia
- First hotel in Croatia with iMenus on iPads
- First in Croatia to introduce PressReader Hot Zone
- First hotel in Croatia with Health & SPA Halal Certificate, 2013
- First hotel in Croatia with regular Korean Menu (Le Bistro)
Beware the local Croatian fire water known as rakija or rakia. It’s like grappa and may be plain or flavoured with fruit or spices. The pine and fern flavoured varieties are particularly vicious…
The accommodation ranges from Superior Rooms to Deluxe Rooms and through Suites to the Presidential Suite.
Currently, the daily rates with breakfast after 15% discount for advanced booking are:
Superior King Room €169 / $199
Deluxe King Room €190 / $235
Deluxe Suite €271 / $320
Presidential Suite €2,530 / $2,987
My comfortable room was on the top floor with dormer windows.
Esplanade Health Club
- Beauty treatments
Esplanade Zagreb Hotel is the best hotel in Zagreb and convenient within walking distance for the Old Town attractions, shopping and restaurants / bars. Taxis are cheap if you can’t make it back from the bars to the hotel! 🙂
It’s also easy to find if you follow the signs for the main railway station (GLAVNI KOLODVOR).
It has one of the best chefs in the country (ANA GRGIĆ) and is renown for steak tartare and Award-winning risotto. [More about those in future AlphaLuxe reports]
Hotel Restaurants: Zinfandels and Le Bistro.
When in Zagreb, choose the Esplanade Zagreb Hotel.
As one Zagreb resident said: “My family celebrates everything at the Esplanade — Birthdays, Engagements, Weddings, Christenings, Divorces and Funerals.”
AlphaLuxe articles about Zagreb:
Author’s Biography: Melvyn Teillol-Foo (MTF)
Dr Melvyn Teillol-Foo is a contributor on AlphaLuxe web-zine.
He is also a moderator on PuristSPro.com horology discussion fora. He blends his scientific medical objectivity from the pharmaceutical industry with purist passion, in his musings about watches, travel, wine, food and other epicurean delights.
His travelogue ‘Lazing’ and feasting ‘Grazing’ series of articles have now passed into “mythic legend” on the original ‘ThePuristS.com’ website. Those were the halcyon days when he was “rich and famous” that he remembers with bittersweet fondness.
Dr Teillol-Foo is a quoted enthusiast on the watch industry, appearing in feature articles and interviews by Wall Street Journal, International Herald Tribune, Sunday Times (London), Chronos (Japan), Citizen Hedonist (France) and other publications. He has authored articles for magazines like International Watch (iW) – both U.S. & Chinese editions, ICON (Singapore), August Man (Singapore), Comfort (China) and The Watch (Hong Kong).